GET OUT AND GO
- Aquinas at Warren County: The top two teams in their Region 4-A sub-region meet for the first time. Warren County has proved to be tough all season, losing by only four to Laney.
- Evans at Lakeside: The Panthers have won three in a row and could be ready to pounce on Evans for an upset. The Knights won an earlier meeting by 19 points.
- Lexington at North Augusta: The Yellow Jackets, winners of three in a row, are playing at home for the first time since Dec. 18.
- Josey at Hephzibah: The Eagles have had a strange week: they beat Region 3-AAAA's top team (Glenn Hills), then lost to one of its worst (Westside). Hephzibah has won a season-best six in a row.
- Memarkus Smith: Strom Thurmond might be 3-10, but the Rebels are 1-1 in the region, and Smith is scoring 22 points each time out.
- Candice Warthen: University of Arizona recruit averaging 29.5 ppg. and nearly eight steals as Warren County enters an important Region 4-A stretch.
1. Laney: Wildcats figuring out how to win every which way, the latest being a 97-point outburst against Screven County on Tuesday.
2. Richmond Academy: Musketeers halfway to 20-0 region mark; strangely enough, closest games have come against Westside and Lakeside.
3. Burke County: The Bears have two losses: to a strong Alabama team and to Liberty County, a team coaches rank No. 1 in Class AAA.
4. Midland Valley: Mustangs have rumbled to an 13-3 start and won their region opener by six points earlier this week.
5. Aquinas: Robert Turner and Brian Hill give Irish one of the better backcourts in the area.
1. Hephzibah: Rebels' perch atop the area can certainly be argued, but they have the best win (over Laney) and are 7-0 away from home. Those plaudits surely must be worth something.
2. Laney: Games at Dodge County (Saturday) and Vidalia (Feb. 5) probably only chances for Wildcats to lose again this regular season.
3. North Augusta: The Yellow Jackets have zoomed to a 4-1 region start, their only blemish coming against tough Dutch Fork.
4. Butler: The way the Bulldogs and star Ashley Watts are playing, rematch with Glenn Hills (a week from today) can't get here fast enough.
5. Glenn Hills: Hanging on to share of Region 3-AAAA lead, but will certainly be underdog second time around against Hephzibah and Butler.
ON THE RISE
Josey boys: A year after missing the state playoffs, the Eagles could be the second-best team in Region 3-AAAA and in line for a home playoff game. Josey is in second place at the midpoint of the season thanks to consecutive wins over Glenn Hills and Westside.
Warren County girls: The Devils should easily top Aquinas tonight, then head to Hancock Central for an important game. Hancock has won the past three region titles, but it is perhaps Warren County's turn to rule the region