I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Dry winter weather cracking the skin around your fingers?
I confessed this problem Friday and told you my solution (super glue).
PJ in Evans agreed.
"Bingo!" he wrote in an e-mail. "It's really been bad this year, and I have already gone through several small bottles. Not only my fingers, but for the first time, my knuckles.
"Hope you are buying the super glue from the Dollar Tree. The best I have found is the 2-bottle package; each bottle contains 10 ounces, have red tops, yellow packaging on the bottom. ... Can't beat the price!"
And Susan tells me: "Preparation H is the best for cracked skin especially around the fingertips. Just put a little on your fingertips at night and cover with a Band-Aid. ... It heals overnight."
Nita Doss swears by Zim's Crack Creme, a "liquid skin" care product. She says you can buy it at CVS, near the Band-Aids.
The simplest solution? Two people -- including George Dunaway , of Beech Island -- advised me to wash my hands in cold water instead of hot to avoid cracking.
SILLY ME: I went to school. Took science courses. Learned about physics and gravity and psychology and more.
And I still have trouble getting through a day.
I know now I should have been paying attention to an older set of nature's subtle indicators. Such things as pointed out by the Farmer's Almanac for 2010.
- An itchy nose means you're going to have a quarrel with someone, or you will kiss a fool.
- If you bite your tongue while eating, it's because you've recently told a lie.
- To prevent unwelcome guests from returning, sweep out the room in which they stayed immediately.
- If someone sweeping the floor sweeps over your feet, you'll never get married.
- Do not lean a broom against a bed. The evil spirits in the broom will cast a spell on the bed.
- If you drop a knife, a male visitor is on his way to your home.
- Hit someone with a broom and it will make him lazy.
- If your ear is burning, someone is talking about you. If it's the left ear it means love. The right ear means spite.
- If your shoelace keeps coming untied, you are about to receive some good news.
- When making the bed, don't interrupt your work, or you'll spend a restless night.
- You have to get out of a bed on the same side you got into it or you'll have bad luck.
- Got an itchy palm? Right hand, you're in luck. Money's coming if you don't scratch it. Left hand, scratch away. That means you'll be paying out money.
And finally, all wishes on shooting stars come true.
(May your nights not be cloudy .)
TODAY'S JOKE: A mother was preparing pancakes for her sons, Kevin, 5, and Ryan, 3. The boys began to argue over who would get the first pancake and their mother saw the opportunity for a moral lesson.
"If Jesus were sitting here, He would say, 'Let my brother have the first pancake, I can wait.' "
Kevin turned to his younger brother and said, "Ryan, you be Jesus."
Reach Bill Kirby at (706) 823-3344 or email@example.com.